11.16.2012

PERFORMANCE REVIEW /// CONVERSE MVP MID

Photobucket

Whoa... It's been a while since I did a review. Great to be doing this again! Anyway...

For a month, I used the Converse MVP Mid to our local open runs. In previous reviews, I based my performance assessment solely on a single-day skirmish. This time, though, I ran with the shoe through four consecutive runs to get a more intimate understanding of the shoe.

But before we go further into the review, let's talk about the aesthetics first.

The Converse MVP Mid shares the same design DNA as the Converse Defcon Mid (as reviewed here). A synthetic one-piece vamp forming a seamless cage encasing the foot. Buy one major difference, or should I say upgrade, from The Star's previous top-tier basketball footwear is the incorporation of Nike's marquee innovation - The FLYWIRE. We'll discuss its performance benefits later.

The integration of Flywire aesthetically gives the shoe a sense of effectivity on the court. In my pair, the bright streaks of thread come alive against the black upper.

The finish of the shoe fades from the very dark toe and forefoot, to the very bright collar and heel counter. As I was lacing it up, the Converse MVP immediately broke necks - even the ones that were on the court!

The color pops... And to say that it's bright is an understatement. The fading color blocking truly sets it off. I would definitely buy these on looks alone.

Let's now proceed to the performance assessment of the shoe.



For a shoe that is virtually lacking on any sort of impact protection and cushioning, the Converse MVP Mid gave a very comfortable ride. I used these for a month, for 4 weekends, 2-3 games every skirmish and it never gave me any discomfort, knee shock, nor shin pains.

The fit got a major overhaul thanks to the Flywire. You can really feel the forefoot locking when you cut to the basket, and yet it knows when to ease off. The Converse MVP Mid provides a structured fit that was reminiscent of Nike's elite level sneakers from '08-'10. It would be safe to conclude that in terms of fit and support, the Converse MVP Mid is not far from the high performance pairs that are now available in the market.

One observation, though, that is well worth mentioning is the traction that the shoe provides. On the playgrounds we frequent, dust and small debris is a common sight on the blacktop - as for any outdoor court, so any advantage that you have against unwanted slides and slips is golden. I am surprised that given its very elementary looking outsole, the Converse MVP provided traction so excellent, I never had any hesitation going all out on a slippery court. I can't emphasize this enough: this is a very good blacktop shoe.

The only downside to the Converse MVP, which if I may emphatically stress - has no bearing with the performance of the shoe, is that the tongue seems to always come undone. During my first 2 games, I had to adjust the tongue. Eventually, I got the lacing more secured which helped to keep the tongue in place. Again, this issue does not hamper the performance of the shoe nor the player.

Overall, I highly recommend you to cop or at least try the Converse MVP. The silhouette, the color and the excellent traction - Those are the main factors that got me sold on the shoe.

The Converse MVP Mid retails for Php 5,910.00 and is now available at select converse retailers.



Once again, thank you @ConversePh for the love!

///

The box.
Photobucket

The brightness.
Photobucket

Our local playground.
Photobucket

On feet.
Photobucket

Photobucket

After the game, the tongue slouched... But I didn't really notice. It never really bothered my game.
Photobucket

Photobucket

On feet. This time the tongue was more secure. They look mad ill with black socks!
Photobucket

Neckbreakers.
Photobucket

Photobucket

The famous Flywire.
Photobucket

After a month's worth of games, they still look good.
Photobucket

Profile. The detail on this is sick!
Photobucket

Heel counter.
Photobucket

Top.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And my favorite part: The sole.
Photobucket


*   *   *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails