2.08.2012

STUFF OF LEGENDS: AN OPEN LETTER

February 8, 2012


What's good Legend,

A year ago today, I got my licence to practice Architecture. And as some of you know, that should've been the end of Locker Room Legends.

You see, this blog was an experiment. You can probably say it was an accident. The product of a curious mind lacking any sense of focus, and a heart that beats for basketball, Hip-Hop and its culture.

I'm not a writer, nor a graphic artist. I don't know anything about CSS, HTML, and script codes neither. I am an Architect, and I was a student working my way to an Architecture license when I thought of The Locker Room.

My aching head that was brimming with technical info and random construction tidbits needed a distraction. I had to do something that was totally detached from Architecture...

And I found this.

It was my way of clearing my brain's palette, at the same time I wanted to contribute something worthwhile to this community that has been so good to me. Although I told my girl Cess, my close friends, as well as those who knew about the site that I'll be putting Legends down as soon as I get my license.


Locker Room Legends went online on December 21, 2010. A simple photo of MJ's iconic rookie card was our very first entry  (see "ROOKIE CARD"). I didn't think much of it then, a newb move really... But looking back, it was all aspirational. A symbol of a rookie coming up, getting off the sidelines, and working hard.

The site was inspired by the pureness of the game (straight up black and white), and the realness of the people that play it well. It is an idealistic view of a subculture that is dynamic and diverse.

My high school coach once told me that a game is not won or lost on the court, but in the locker room. In there, there are no screaming fans... No cameras... No showboating. Just the realness of the moment. A place where it is alright for a grown man to hang his head low in defeat, or pop champagne in victory.

Winning is not a fad in the locker room. There is no hype nor fiasco. Just the players, and the desire to be better.

Hence, the name. Locker Room Legends.

Like most things in life and architecture, I built Locker Room Legends from the ground up. From the chalkboard to the championships... Scripting my own codes, sketching my own graphics, "hacking" the favicon and the foot credits. With the very limited time that I had, I taught myself how to build a site. For some it may not be much, elementary even... But I'm hella proud of it.

All for love.

A post led to another; from my first event (see "LOVE AT FIRST SKATE"), to my first blogged pick-up (see "SUMTH'N LIKE A VENOMENON"), Locker Room Legends provided me with a much needed and well deserved outlet. And I think early in its run, my blog has done some good for the community and culture as a whole.

Then that day came when I finally made it and became a full fledged Architect. I was ready to shut everything down. I said my thanks... And thought Locker Room Legends has served its purpose (see "THE MOMENT AND THE VICTORY").

But something told me that the Locker Room had become so much bigger than expected. I've dedicated a huge chunk of my thoughts and myself into the blog... And with all the love that I've received from friends, especially from random people who visit the site on the regular, I just couldn't bring myself to put down something that was essentially already part of me.

But come to think of it, for a personal blog I think I have imprinted very little of myself in it. Just enough for people to know that it's by "that" dude. I was never alone in making this blog, because YOU were always in it. It's not called LEGENDS (plural) for nothing. Locker Room Legends aimed to be faceless, spontaneous and experiential. A blog that, ultimately, told our story as a culture.

And so here we are, a year later... Still blogging, still updating you with the illest that our culture has to offer, and still pretty much alive.


On that note, I want to thank the following for making Locker Room Legends what it is today:


God, first of all... For reasons too obvious and too many. By His grace, we are still here!

The OG Legends of the Locker Room: Cess, Jake, JD, Phil, Julio, Giulz, and Lizzie. #Wolfpack

Shouts to my family at NikeTalk and Team LMS. Thank you for fueling the fire!


Marc Macayan of YOURDAILYDOSEOFMARC.COM - You've represented and stood by Locker Room Legends since DAY 1... And that is something I will never forget. I don't know how to repay your dopeness, but know that I am forever grateful.


Martin David of SOLEMOVEMENT.COM - You and your work is an inspiration, brother... And you co-signing the blog is right up there in LRL's achievements. Thank you. I will definitely keep pushing LRL towards excellence to justify your faith in the blog. Once again, thank you.


Jojo Munsayac of KINGCRUX31.COM - If we're all stars in this crazy community of ours then you sir, are the big bang. SINCE 'KRUX. I am truly thankful for what you've done to make it possible for people like me to do this. Thank you for the support and the friendship.


Dennis Tan, Raoul Reinoso and everyone at TITAN - Our family from Lightning Country! You guys spear-headed everything basketball and sneakers in the Locker Room. I owe so much to you because you have fostered the Locker Room's growth, as well as supply my insatiable need for fresh kicks and basketball knowledge. For Love of The Game.


Specks of weLEGENDARY - My man! The Locker Room's cool distant cousin. A brother from another mother! We may not share the same sport... But heck, we share the same passion. And for that, wL holds a dear and sweet spot in the Locker Room... And my shoe rack! Here's to you brother!


THE BOYS OF PEREA x UNSCHLD - Some of you may already know this, I grew up (literally) with the boys from UNSCHLD! We went to the same grade school and high school, hung with the same people, have played in the same summer league... Generally, we've been friends for as long as we've been alive (well, almost).

We've come a looong ways from Perea, and we've been both hustlin' our way to the top. Watch the throne. Thank you for helping Locker Room Legends BOOK IT!

Jen of CONVERSE, Miss Mae of NIKE, and everyone at OGILVY - I am beyond proud to be associated with your team, and truly overjoyed that you have trusted our humble site to carry and promote your products. With the warmest of thoughts, I thank you.

B-Roc of SOULFIESTA.COM - The silence would be deafening in the Locker Room if it weren't for you brother! Thank you. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for the friendship, and the music.


TO ALL THE LEGENDS - On facebook, twitter, and all over. You are LOCKER ROOM LEGENDS. We would be nothing without you. You are too many to mention by name, but each and everyone of you are deeply appreciated. Thank you for the constant love and inspiration. I will do my bestest to keep my end of the deal, to keep the realness and freshness of the blog. I will continue to make things better in The Locker Room. I owe you that. 

To everyone I wasn't able to mention: Shouts to you. You are very much part of what makes us tick... Without you we would be nothing but an empty page. I am forever thankful.

And to you, yes you, dear reader: You are here right now... And that deserves acknowledgement.

Technically, We ain't even suppose to be here... But we're here... So we might as well make it count.




Here's to you, Legend!

///


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails