6.07.2012

SIXTEEN YEARS IN THE MAKING

Okay. I just need to get this off my chest real quick.

I was doing work for a couple of industry friends when my internet went down. I was on playoff silence up until lunchtime. I immediately went online to check what I missed, then I saw this tweet:
Has the world corrected itself? Has justice finally been served, and past transgressions rectified?
Photobucket
The Oklahoma City Thunder is en route to basketball's biggest and grandest stage, fully capable of taking it all. Am I excited? Not really. As far as I'm concerned, basketball season ended when The Lakers went home. #Salty

But you know, there is something innately romantic about this storyline.

Without thinking or analyzing too much, there is no situation wherein the Thunder couldn't take it all. They got Westbrook's speed and athleticism (you can make the arguement that he's too much of a ballhog. I will not fight you on that), they got inside presence thanks to Ibaka, they got instant firepower courtesy of Harden, Collison is solid, Thabo can defend, Perk can at least be a distraction inside. They have Fish's experience... And they have KD - the MVP (Durant got robbed. There is no way he wasn't the best player this season. Sue me.) They have a good coach. They can score anywhere. They can run. They are fast. They are young... And they are deep. Deeper than Miami, and certainly deeper than Boston.

The Oklahoma City Thunder are not just capable of becoming champions; Above all things, they deserve to be one.

Fish deserves it. Durant sure as hell deserves it.

That's because less than a year ago, these gentlemen worked hard to keep the game alive. Fish negotiated tirelessly to salvage whatever's left of the 2012 season, while KD "NEVER STOPPED" doing work to keep basketball relevant. His adventures are well documentated on YouTube.

I really do believe that these people deserve to win the 'chip. Because, as corny as it sounds, without them we wouldn't even be having this discussion. We wouldn't be able to see regular season games, let alone the playoffs. There would be no heckling and laughing; no hearts broken, nor wagers won.

They deserve the league's highest recognition because it was Fisher and Durant that kept the league - and the game we love the most, exciting during one of basketball's darkest moments.

I'm not saying we should all cheer for The Thunder because of them. That's bandwagoning! Plus that would just be plain stupid. But you have to respect the team: where they came from and where they are now, their hunger, and their resiliency.

Just like from seasons of old, we find the basketball dieties smiling on one team... And this year, they seem to believe OKC got it.

I couldn't agree more.

Truth be told, I'm still not over The Laker's exit in the hands of Durant and his farm boys. It may be hard to swallow but in situations like this, I always root for the team that eliminated LAL; at least I can say we lost to the champs.

I call OKC to win it. Not just because they can. But because they should. They've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails